|Rucker Building (dem.)
158-160 Auburn Avenue
Sweet Auburn Historic District
Original Use: This building served as the first black
owned office space for African Americans on Auburn Avenue.
Readaptive Use: The building had to be demolished in
September of 2001 when a vehicle lost control and ran into
the front support column causing the building to collapse.
The building had been weakened by water entry.
1852- Nov 14. Henry Rucker is born a slave in Wilkins
1866- Arrived in Atlanta with family
and attended the first school for freedmen held in the Tabernacle
Church Building on Armstrong Street (now Jenkins Street).
1880- Henry Rucker serves as a delegate
from Georgia to the Republican National Convention in Chicago.
1887- Rucker purchases a home on Piedmont
1897- Rucker is named by President
William McKinley as collector of internal revenue, the only
African American to ever hold this position.
1904- Rucker builds a 3-story office
building on the corner of Piedmont Avenue and Auburn Ave as
the first office building for African American's and owned
by African Americans in Atlanta. It is constructed of red
brick with retail space on the 1st floor and professional
office space on the 2nd and 3rd floor.
2001- After the week-end proceeding
9/11 the building was demolished. There is an empty lot at
the buildings original location at this time.
Use browser Back button to return to original page.