|Odd Fellows Building and Auditorium
228-250 Auburn Avenue
Sweet Auburn Historic District
Built under the leadership of Benjamin J. Davis and the Grand
Order of Odd Fellows.
Built: 1912 - main building opened; 1913 - annex with
auditorium is opened.
Architect: William A. Edwards
Contractor: Robert E. Pharrow
Architectural Style: Jacobean Revival; the façade
is embellished with unique terra cotta figures.
Original Use: This building housed businesses along
the street, office space in the tower and also had a 1,296
seat auditorium and a roof garden- the site of most of black
Atlanta's dances and social functions during the 1920's and
Re-adaptive Use: The entire building was renovated
in late 1980's. The present day use of the auditorium and
roof garden can be seen here: http://atriumonauburn.com/
1903-The Atlanta Independent, a weekly newspaper
published by Benjamin J. Davis and the Grand Order of Odd
Fellows makes its appearance (latter to be located in this
building). Benjamin Davis was editor. The Atlanta Independent
was closed in 1933, consequently leaving The
Daily World (1928) as the lone voice for the city's growing
1912-The Odd Fellows Building is dedicated by Booker
1913 - Annex with auditorium is opened.
1914 - June 10. The Gate City Drug Store is opened
in the new Odd Fellows Building by Dr. Amos Moses. Visitors
receive ice cream and souvenirs.
1918- October. The Odd Fellows Hall Roof Garden closes
due to outbreak of Spanish Flu in the African American Community.
1921- June 2-4. The Auditorium Theatre in the Odd Fellows
Annex shows the movie Youth, Pride , Achievement- a motion
picture about African Americans in Atlanta.
1980's- The building was completely restored to its
The Atlanta Chapter of the Grand Order of
Odd Fellows, a fraternal organization supporting and networking
the black business community, built this substantial building
as their headquarters and to provide much needed office, retail,
professional, meeting and entertainment space for African
Americans in Atlanta. One of the major black entrepreneurial
centers in America, this well appointed building provided
space for The Gate City Drug Store (later Yates
and Milton; owned by the first black pharmacist in Georgia,
Dr.Amos Moses), Baileys Royal Theatre, Curry-Hall
Haberdasher, the offices of Dr. Shaw (Atlanta's first
black optometrist), The Gate City Barber Shop, Sportsmans
Smoke House and the House of Flowers to mention
The Odd Fellows Auditorium in the Annex became a center for
entertainment as soon as it opened. The Royal Theatre
was located in the Annex and was the only movie house in Atlanta
where Blacks could be seated on the main floor. The roof garden
created a space to dine and dance in an elegant atmosphere.
The buildings were restored in the late 1980's
and established a benchmark for redevelopment in the Sweet
Auburn Historic District.
Other information sites:
Use browser back button to return to original page.